Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Yesterday Paul broke a black heart-shaped magnet that I had bought when I was 19 and living in my first apartment (maybe my second). I said "Paul, you broke my heart!" He said "Yeah, your BLACK heart."

He cares about me. Not enough to carry around a photo album with our wedding pictures, but after 18 years, there's still some affection.

Yesterday I had a call from John the contractor saying "Meg, I don't want to freak you out but I want you to consider something. I want you to think about tearing your entire house down and rebuilding from scratch. It would only be another $50 thousand or so, and a return to the committee of adjustments which would add a couple extra months to the project." I didn't freak out, mainly because I was in a bit of a hurry to get out of the house to pick up the kids, but money was at the forefront of my mind. This project is costing us pretty much what we paid for the house nearly 7 years ago. I can't get my mind around it costing any more that it already is. Considering I'm already talking about selling my children on ebay to pay for it.

Fortunately later a message was left on the answering machine saying that the engineer thinks the fireplace is fine, doesn't need to be torn out and that we will continue as planned with the excavation starting Thursday.

Whew I say.

I promise to take my camera tomorrow to get an updated picture. Today's project was knocking a big hole leading into the basement.

We had a spontaneous dinner at Kim & Scott's tonight - I was very conservative with my wine consumption (MOM!). Jakob considers Kim his girlfriend and also considers himself a bit of a chef. I think it's smart to start that young (4), Kim can mould him into the perfect boy toy and then move to France where she will be well fed and well taken care of.

No comments: