Saturday, May 26, 2007

The strangest thing happened to me today.

I ate a hot dog at a local fundraiser where Satchel was playing in the steel pan band, and within seconds of eating it I had a severe reaction. I became really hot, my face started tingling, my lips swollen and then I developed a serious rash that looked like a really bad sun burn that started at the top of my head and worked down to my chest. I had a fever which spiked high - all within minutes of finishing a hot dog with only traditional condiments. Took an Alegra calmed the rash & fever down - the rash now all down my arms too. Kim came over and we called a nursing hotline for advice, since I've never reacted like this and always considered myself free of food allergies, and then on their recommendation went to a walk in clinic because they thought it might be an staph infection caused by my last surgery.

I was so irritated. Not only did I miss Satchel playing in the band but I am so sick of my health ruining these moments. I had visions, while sitting in the grotty walk-in clinic waiting room, of being sent to the hospital for more tests and more nights being spent and more really bad hospital food. Fortunately the doctor just looked at me and told me it was probably MSG but to avoid hot dogs, ketchup, mustard and relish until I get tested. I left feeling like my time had been completely wasted.

No comments: